Divorced parents often create a loyalty conflict for their children. They are put in the middle and asked to love or choose one parent over the other. This creates great distress and emotional turmoil for the child. Children should be able to love and respect the other parent or a stepparent.
- Power Step Parenting: Help Your Child Move Between Two Homesby Mari PlankDivorced parents often forget or are not aware of how traumatic moving between two homes can be for a child. Remember, it is your child who has to transition between two homes. Now, there are estranged parents, different households, rules, expectations, and having to adjust and re-adjust on a regular basis. Remember, you are responsible Continue reading Power Step Parenting: Help Your Child Move Between Two Homes→
- Power Parenting: How to Offer Teens Choicesby Mari PlankI am a huge fan of Love & Logic parenting techniques. It alleviates power struggles, raises responsible children, and gives them healthy self-esteem. Here is an article on How to Offer Teens Choices. (This is effective for all ages. I used a version of this when my children were toddlers to teens). I would inundate Continue reading Power Parenting: How to Offer Teens Choices→
- Power Step Parenting: Unwise Stepparents Punish Before Building a Relationshipby Mari PlankAuthor and stepparent expert Ron L. Deal, states, By my estimation, this is the most common and one of the most destructive mistakes stepparents make. I’ve established that parental authority develops gradually over time and increases through bonding and the development of a trusting relationship. (If you want to test my assertion, just go to Continue reading Power Step Parenting: Unwise Stepparents Punish Before Building a Relationship→
- Power Parenting: Teens and Friendshipby Mari PlankDoes it seem your pre-teen or teenagers’ friends are more important than eating? The desire to belong is a God-given desire. As a parent, learn ways to help your child develop healthy positive friendships.
- Power Step Parenting: 6 Reminders for Stepmomsby Mari Plank6 Reminders for Stepmoms: Pray for yourself, your marriage, your biological kids, your stepchildren, and their mother. With God’s power and love involved, you can build a stepfamily that defies the statistical norms. Don’t assume you know what your stepkid’s mother thinks of you, or what she is telling her children about you. Kids aren’t always accurate Continue reading Power Step Parenting: 6 Reminders for Stepmoms→